|This article is about the special enemies featured in PAYDAY 2. For the list of special enemies encountered in PAYDAY: The Heist, see Category:Special enemies.|
Special Enemies are a class of enemy that have unique abilities and fulfill specific roles during or after a police assault.
They have several common mechanics that make them different from regular enemies:
- They can be highlighted even in a firefight by shouting at them.
- Doing so will trigger a vocal response from the player character indicating the special unit type.
- They will trigger a vocal response from the player character when killed.
- They cannot be intimidated or converted.
- Each type has a specific limit, which changes with the heist's difficulty, that regulates how many can be present in a map at any time.
- The number of special units a player kills is counted separately from other kills.
- With the exception of snipers, they are immune to skills and perks which cause panic, and do not flail around while burning (though they usually stop performing certain actions while on fire, and will use a fire death animation if it kills them).
- Their presence triggers special voicelines and different tactics in other law enforcers.
There are eight types of special enemies, each having their own unique abilities:
- Bulldozer - Heavily armoured and heavily armed unit that spearheads law enforcement assaults; comes in several varieties that vary in effective range and damage output.
- Cloaker - Generally waits in ambush or hides in plain sight. Capable of an instant-incapacitation close quarters attack and incredible bursts of speed. Can drop smoke grenades.
- Shield - Wields a full-body shield, making it (and any other troops behind the shield) impervious to frontal attacks from most weapons.
- Sniper - Deals high, armor-penetrating damage from extreme distance. Only spawns in set positions in maps.
- Taser - Electrocutes heisters, making them fire uncontrollably and preventing movement. Incapacitation follows if the Taser isn't interrupted.
- SWAT Van Turret - Stationary (or semi-stationary), but incredibly durable. Deals out intense and sustained damage to any heister in its sight, and capable of self-repair.
- Captain Winters - Locks assault wave for the duration of his presence, and increases cops' damage resistance when on the field. Carries a specially made shield, and is accompanied by a battalion of soldiers with similar armaments.
- Medic - Instantly restores the health of any law enforcer he focuses on (except SWAT turrets, Cloakers, and Captain Winters), allowing them to survive shots that would otherwise prove fatal.
All items (8)