OVERKILL Software is a privately held company that was founded in 2009 in Stockholm, Sweden by Ulf & Bo Andersson, the former founders and owners of GRIN.
They are the creators and developers of PAYDAY: The Heist, PAYDAY 2, the upcoming Sci-fi co-op game, Storm  and Overkill's The Walking Dead, a co-op zombie survival game. Overkill was bought out and folded into Starbreeze Studios in June 2012.
Overkill Software was founded in 2009 in Stockholm, Sweden by the Andersson brothers, who have previously founded GRIN. Alongside them was Simon Viklund, who became the company's head music composer.
Their first project as Overkill, PAYDAY: The Heist (2011) was a major success for both PC and PlayStation 3, which led to a sequel, PAYDAY 2, released in 2013 to an even bigger praise. Overkill was bought and folded into Swedish game studio Starbreeze Studios in 2012.
Former Battlefield 3 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 lead designer David Goldfarb joined Overkill for PAYDAY 2's development. In 2014 he left Overkill to start his own studio.
Their long time project Storm, a sci-fi co-op FPS, was planned to be released in 2017, though with the shifted focus to StarVR and The Walking Dead, the project was indefinitely postponed. Initially starting development as a "PAYDAY in space", the original concept was partly shelved before being merged with Starbreeze's own ill-fated free-to-play project Cold Mercury, and to be released as a team-based VR shooter. As of current, it is unknown if the game is in development hell or has been cancelled, but due to Starbreeze's recent financial problems (and Overkill's, by extension), further work seems unlikely.
From May 2015 to November 2018, the studio was owned solely by Bo Andersson after a falling out between him and Ulf. Despite no longer being a member of the board and Creative Director, Ulf Andersson had remained on board as a primary consultant and was the voice actor for Wolf for a remainder of PAYDAY 2's support period.
After the acquisition of the PAYDAY IP from 505 Games in May 2016, studio executive Almir Listo have confirmed the development of a third PAYDAY game, to be released at an undetermined date.
- PAYDAY: The Heist (2011)
- PAYDAY 2 (2013)
- Overkill's The Walking Dead (2018)
- PAYDAY: Crime War (planned for 2019, currently on indefinite hold)
- Geminose (TBA)
- PAYDAY 3 (planned for 2023)
- Mikael Nermak - Former Deputy CEO of Starbreeze Studios. Currently operating as Acting CEO of Overkill Software and Starbreeze following Bo Andersson's departure Left in October 2020.
- Almir Listo - Producer at Overkill Software and Global Brand Director of Starbreeze Studios
- Andreas Häll-Penninger - Game producer
- Sadir Samir - Game writer
- Ilija Petrusic - Co-Founder, lead level designer (currently working for Lion Game Lion)
- Melanie Schneider - Level designer
- Patrick Murphy - Level designer
- Tobias Remmers - Senior QA for Starbreeze Studios
- Jules Marquez - Game desinger
- Hampus Gross - QA
- Max Elmberg - Creative artist
- Pär Antonsson - 3D artist, weapon designer
- Jacob Andersson - Animator
- Jonas Wallin - Animator
- Eddie "Coyote" Eklund - Animator
- Tor Helmstein - Cinematics director
- Andreas Rönnberg - Level designer
- Carl Norén - Composer
- "Joe" - Writer
- and more unlisted members.
- Overkill Software at Wikipedia
- Official Website
- Official Twitter account
- Official SOE Website
- Official Facebook account
|Heists||Release: First World Bank • Heat Street • Panic Room • Green Bridge • Diamond Heist • Slaughterhouse|
DLC: Counterfeit • Undercover • No Mercy
|Weapons||Primary: AMCAR-4 • Reinbeck • M308 • Brenner 21 • AK|
Secondary: Mark 11 • Locomotive 12G • Compact-5 • GL40
Pistols: B9-S • Crosskill .45 • Bronco .44 • STRYK
|Deployables||Ammo bag • Doctor bag • Trip mine • Sentry gun|
|Enemies||Regular: Security guard • Cop • FBI • Gangster • Blue SWAT • Heavy SWAT • Murkywater|
Special: Bulldozer • Cloaker • Shield • Sniper • Taser
|Characters||Dallas • Hoxton • Wolf • Chains • Bain • Minor characters|
|Gameplay||Assault Waves • Civilians • Crew AI • Drills • Environmental hazards • Police Custody • Reputation • Risk Level (Overkill 145+) • Shout • Stealth • Upgrades|
|Miscellaneous||Achievements • Challenges • Companies (GenSec • Murkywater) • DLC • FBI • Gangs & Mafias • Graphic options • Masks • Overkill Software • Steam Trading Cards • Timeline • Update history|